Monday, May 19, 2014

Building The Printrbot Simple (2014) Kit

When I decided to get this printer friends and family where very interested in seeing what it was about and just how much work it would take to go from a kit to actual printing with it and the quality it could do. I was asked to keep them informed on how this tool worked. For that reason I tock a time lapse video of me building this printer.

During the build process I discovered both missing and broken parts to this kit. I went to printrbot.com / support and opened a support ticket. I documented with photos the broken parts and within 3 days Printrbot support team sent me new parts to my door by USPS.

I built the kit at a slow pace and I measured every part, because the screws come in several sizes from 3mm to 20mm and you could easy end up using the wrong part for the wrong step if you do not take your time and double check your parts. Since I had to wait for replacement parts I did the build over 3 days but under 7 total hours.

There where some areas that where challenging to. The fan extension wire with male pins was twice as long as the female plug on the fan. I ended using wire cutters and trimming those down to size, which worked. The hot end itself was not aligning with the fan hood, and needed to be pushed all the way to the top by wedging a flathead screw driver in the extruder mount. Another issue I had was the m3 nuts where super tiny and kept falling out before I could screw everything together. I ended using blue painters tape to keep the screws in place and not fall out.

Here is a time lapse video (edited down) of me building the Printrbot simple kit 3D printer.


No comments:

Post a Comment