Thursday, June 19, 2014

Journey with Printrbot Simple takes turn for worst

Well I was hoping to avoid this, and writing about such issues. However I going to be true with the journey using this Micro 3D printer (The Printrbot Simple). No other 3D printer I have used or owned has given me so many problems as the Printrbot Simple. Actual I not even sure why its called simple, because so far its not been. The original cost of $350.00 seemed affordable at the time, however after 2 months (and less than 20 total prints with this printer) I spent to date $650.02 total on this printer just trying to get it to run and keep it working.



Things break super easy, unlike any printer I ever used. I not sure if I got a lemon or its cheaply made. I have learned more with this printer than an other in how to maintain them, fix them and maybe even design something better. However I only wanted to make stuff with them. I made a video of the latest issues I ran into, such as a dead hot end (the wires melted after only 19 prints at temps of 196-200/c)

The fan cord is also broken and finding a replacement seems impossible. Printrbot does not sell any single cords in there store. I search the web for fan cords with the same length and plugs jacks but can not locate any with this jack type. I sent in a support ticket to Printrbot but got a message that it would take 305 days. 305 days! that almost a year, are they insane?

 I was so excited about this Printrbot and it actual made some (19) top quality prints in tolerance. However If I had to do it again today, I would never got this product after all these problems and added/ hidden cost. I would spent my money on a better printer. Less than 2 months I already spent almost double the cost of this printer. Its just frustration, and wondering how much more money will I need to spend to get it working again, and how long will It be till something else breaks.

It sure been a learning lesson. The kind of lesson in you get what you pay for. Not that other more expensive 3D printers do not have issues either, they all do. However the Solidoodle 2 almost a year old has had far less problems and cost far less total to maintain over this printer.

Here my video on where I at with my Micro 3D printer just after 2 months and less than 20 prints made.




Edit: Updated I did end up finally fixing this, and did get help from printrbot. I found someone at that company that was able to help us fix this. Now its working 100 times better than the last printrbot simple I had. I have not had time to edit and upload new video because this is a busy time of the year to code software. I try to find some time after the July 4th holiday, to post new videos of some awesome makes with this new printer upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment