Friday, June 13, 2014

Printrbot 1405 upgrade tips

Since upgrading my Printrbot simple makers to the new design 1405 (belt version) I notice some odd things that first seem bad, but are fixable.



#1 The print size for the X and Y where smaller, but after close inspection of my printer, I notice the zip ties holding the belts tight are actual causing the travel of the bed to stop short. The zip ties need to be placed in a way that they do not cause the bed to hit the frame, which was happening on the X axis. The Y axis had some similar issues, however it was way more than just a zip tie causing the Y not to hit the Y axis N-stop. The screws holding the Y axis belt in place where actually causing the Y axis to stop short. The build instructions said to use 16mm screws however that was causing the issue of getting 95mm and not 100mm so I had replaced the 16mm screws with 10mm and the problem was fixed.

#2 Another issue I ran into was having to re-flash the firmware. I did not have any jumpers. And actually had no idea what they even where. I since found out you can use anything from paper clips to actual hard drive pin jumpers. I bought some at CDW and now have more than enough. However if I knew I would made sure I had this before I started upgrading the build. 

#3 There no firmware specially for the Makers simple 1405 printer, However its suggested to use the Metal simple firmware, which I did and it seems to work.

#4 If your on a mac and you need to add this firmware to the mac installer. Just drag and drop the firmware file onto the app icon for the firmware installer. Once it launches follow the on screen instructions. That will do it. This is something that not documented and I got the tip from Printrbot on twitter.

#5 after installing the firmware update on the mac the USB-serial address does change while keeping the old one listed as well, You have to reset the usb serial connection to reconnect to the printer. Its confusion because it still lists the old usb serial address.

I documenting this because many of these things are not explained well in one place. And are some what confusing when you have to go all over the internet looking for answers to why something is not working right.

Also finding the fan hood for this model was not very easy; I bought the upgrade kit so I would never found this if I did not ask Printrbot where it was. Its located here on this page of there web site. Fan hood file

Edit:

The firmware I ended up using was suggested by printrbot support Its for the metal simple found here: https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases/tag/metal-simple_bedlevel_v1 Just make sure to reset the M92 calibration values and to also set the M211 print dimensions mine are set at: M211 X100.00 Y100.00 Z112.00 and to save them using M500. I know there many people confused which one to use. Ian at Printrbot support was the one to tell me to use this firmware and it worked great since setting the new M211 and M92 values.

(I now heard there maybe a newer firmware for this printer, but when I tried it , it was missing the M212 data. I reverted back to the linked version above. I not sure why Printrbot is confusing there users of this printer version, It would seem to me they need a landing page for this printer with all the info to get it to work. Even by the goofy build instruction they have. It seems like this printer was not fully tested and documented before going out the door. If you plan to update you may want to wait tell everything sorted out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment