Sunday, June 1, 2014

Last week with printrbot; Extruder jams

The last week I ran into a on going issue with this printer. Jammed filament from a over heating extruder motor. I already dialed down the POT adjustment on the printer-board a  month ago to as low as it can go. Added heat sinks to the motor and still am have a issue with this printer overheating on the extruder motor.





The thing with the Printrbot over my Solidoodle or any other 3D printer I used is it does not have a heat sink / fan combo cooling on the extruder motor. I not sure why printrbot does not do this because it is a issue when printing bigger things with these printers.

I added 2 heat sinks to the top and side of the motor, and purchased a small cooling fan. However there is only one fan jack in the printer board and that for nozzle cooling, witch is needed with PLA to hit the tight tolerances I need.



I looked into many ways of how to wire a fan to this printer to cool down this motor and so far I stuck using a small household fan pointed at the extruder feeder. (It works better, but not prefect) I seen some small usb powered fans witch may work since the printer board missing a second fan port.

This was the highlight of the week with my micro 3D printrbot printer. Not one print was successful because of the extruder jamming cause by motor overheating. I since moved the printer into a cold air controlled room to see if that would help. I starting to wonder if I have a bad motor?

Its sure a challenge to get this working right. Never had this issue on the Solidoodle but then that also uses ABS and the printrbot uses PLA which maybe the resson why or not. Once I get the thing working right I will highlight what was needed to make it work right.

Hopefully next week I be able to post more good things about using this micro printer.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Custom star map

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.Really i am from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    Personalized star map

    ReplyDelete