Monday, June 9, 2014

Printrbot 2014 upgrade kit build headaches

I had so much fun building my Printrbot Jr. and the Printrbot simple 2014 (fishing line version) that I thought this was going to be fun too, upgrading the 2014 (fishing line version) to the 2014(belt driven version). It was not fun at all.





Printrbot made it harder than it had to be. The build instructions where a absolute mess. Almost every step is in the wrong order. I found myself taken the printer apart several times because the instructions put most of the steps in the wrong order. That made it a major headache.
Also the new wooden frame had holes smaller than the M3 nuts, had holes in places you could not reach at all. Had missing parts between the upgrade kit and the previous model. After several trips to my local hardware store where required to finish the upgrade.

I did a video overview of several areas to watch out for. Also the last step of feeding wires into the printer board area, the tape thing did not work because the hole to small for that many wires. I bought some picture frame wire at my local hardware store and feed one wire in at a time using the picture frame wire. It worked perfectly.

Also it should be noted that there are more tools needed to do this built over the past version, you need 3mm, 2.5mm, 2mm and 1.5mm metric hex/ allen wrenches. The 2 new sizes 3mm is for the belt bushing screws and the 2mm is for the GT2 gears and the Z coupler screws.

Here a video:

No comments:

Post a Comment