Monday, May 19, 2014

3D printing with a barebones micro printer kit Intro

I been looking for a small micro size 3d printer since 2012. However I did not want to break the bank getting one. There was a handful of such 3D printers on the market that where micro size and low costing. 

The major issues I came across when decided on which one to get was actual shipping date. There many printer companies willing to take your cash , however there not shipping there product for months if years after. Another concern was many where not made in american. That a big deal to me because I american and I trust american companies more than a company half way across the world, with a machine that may need replacement parts.

The reason I settled on Printrbot is one I know others that use there products and rave about the company and there products. I have actual used there higher end printers before. The printrbot simple is micro size for easy transportation by one person. They are also affordable for a 3D printer, $350 and pack some nice extras like sd-card reader, cooling fan and is open source.



I had heard by many that the printer was not able to do precise tolerances and was flawed in ways from other on the web( I got this printing to actual print at prefect tolerances) I heard a lot of things negative in one way or another, but seen them actual do what they said could not be done. That why I got a printrbot simple kit. I wanted to see just how far I could take a below $400 3D printing kit and just how good of quality prints I could get.

This blog will be me documenting those experiences with this printer. I actual owned this printer for a month now and so far I really impressed with the results special for how little it cost compared to most other printers.

Things however where not all a smooth ride getting to where I am now with it. And I will explain in detail the issues that needed adjustment out of the box. As I think many newer 3D printing curious people get this printer because the cost alone. There is a learning curve and skill set with this printer more so than using a Makerbot or Cube. It is however possible to get quality results with this printer at this cost without any mods. 

Now I did have previous experience with 3D printing. I actual used one back in the 1990's when I was at Milwaukee Tech for CNC programming and control. The machines they had back then cost hundreds of thousands and where not easy to use. There was not a slicer program, you actual had to read a blue print and program the code your self line by line.

Today they have awesome programs that actual take a cad file and generates the machine code for you. The cost and quality is mind blowing to what they once where. Now I never actual went on to work with CNC, as those classes got me more interested in programming computers than operating machines. I find it cool years latter I actual can afford similar equipment that sits on my desktop and is able to make similar stuff that I learned decades before. 

I do consider a 3D printer a tool, and not a toy or appliance. It much like other tools that you would have in your shop, such as lathe, metal bender, table saw or etc. That being said that means this tool like any other tool needs a skill to use it. It needs maintenance to keep it working in tip top performance. 

It is also not the only 3D printer I currently use, but the only one this blog will be about, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment